Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Day To Never Forget - Part Two

Arriving at the hospital I was brought into the triage area to be assessed. My midwives arrived shortly after and Rob was very close behind them. I was immediately hooked up to a fetal monitor to watch the babys heart rate as well as monitor my contraction levels, not that I was feeling any but they were registering. Next I was hooked up to three different IV bags, not that I remember what any were for, and was then given a quick ultrasound to confirm the position of Pip. Sure enough he was still breech as well as on a diagonal resulting in the OB stating that I was going in for a c section as soon as they could get the anesthetist to administer an epidural.

I looked over to Rob who was sitting beside me and grabbed his hand, shed a few tears, then was all good with the situation. This was not going any where near what I had thought it may but that really didn't matter, all that mattered was that our Pip was on his way, on his terms and that he arrived safely.

We had some time before the anesthetist was ready so Rob and I shared some laughs while suppressing the nervous energy that was filling us both. I did have a couple of minor contractions and at least one that I would say was uncomfortable, Rob watched the monitor as the numbers rose and I dealt with the sensations. A nurse arrived with scrubs for Rob to put on as my turn was up, he very quickly went and put them on and was back by my side within minutes, thank goodness. I was starting to feel a bit nervous but still surprisingly calm.


I was then wheeled into the operating room, Rob was instructed to wait outside while they prepped which felt like an hour, then brought in and was right there with me. The epidural was already in full affect as I could not feel anything below my chest and I was beginning to shake quite hard. This is a normal side affect but still concerning to be experiencing.

Within minutes we heard the doctors proclaim "it's a boy" quickly followed by some very loud crying and as we turned our heads to see we both saw tiny arms and legs flailing in all directions. I was in complete awe that that was our little Pip. I told Rob to go over and see him as I was being put back together, he came back with the tiniest little bundle in his arms and introduced me to our very sweet little son.



Yesterday Pip was three weeks old. It has been quite an amazing three weeks full of love, surprises, emotion and amazement. We have learned so much in such a short period of time and know that this is just the beginning. We are very blessed.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely. You are indeed blessed Sherri with a fabulous and supportive husband and darling little son. So glad everything worked out as it did.
    Love you all
    Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie and Greg LeBretonMay 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

    Happy Mother's Day Sherri!!
    And congratulations to you and Rob. Looking forward to meeting your little Pip! Glad everything worked out for all of you.

    ReplyDelete