Saturday, June 2, 2012

Diaper Review

Now that Owen has grown big enough to fit into the diapers I made we have been using them on a regular basis. I had also purchased a few pairs of pocket style diapers from Fuzzi Bunz as they would fit his tiny waist and they were a very different style of diaper to try.

Finally fitting into the covers I made

I am quite surprised by how everything has turned out so far. I am not happy with using the prefolds at all, they are tricky to put on, especially during the night time changes which I tend to be asleep through, and I have no confidence that they will survive a big poo. The fitted cloth diaper inside the cover works better, easier to put on and can withstand some abuse but does not do a great job at wicking away moisture resulting in more frequent diaper changes and they are quite bulky. I think these will be great for potty training time.

Fitted diaper and cover in action

The third and surprising option are the pocket style diaper. Initially I did not think to use these as they are more expensive and I guessed more laundry as you need an entirely new diaper for each change, not just the insert like the prefold style. They are easy to use just like a disposable diaper, size adjustable from newborn up to toddler which means one set of diapers and so far have been great for containing messes and are nice and trim. When changing you toss the entire diaper into the wet bag and the whole thing gets tossed into the laundry when full. Once dry all that needs to be done is restuff the absorbent insert and you are good to go.

Pocket style diaper in action

I am going to attempt to make a few pairs of diapers in this style as well as ordering more online but it looks like we have a surprise winner!

1 comment: