Friday, October 21, 2011

Me and Food

I have always been a good eater and have always loved food, luckily I have not had any food aversions or sickness during my pregnancy which means I have been eating a lot. I would say that we were fairly healthy eaters before with the occasional indulgence here and there.

I have been doing much reading, thanks to our local library, and been doing my best to maximise my nutrient intake with everything I eat. It has been surprising how much I can restrain myself around a piece of chocolate now!

Turns out that sardines have a very high source of calcium as well as protein, iron and vitamin A, all nutrients that are important right now and I really enjoy them. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise as I am happy to nosh on a jar of pickled herring ever since I was a kid, I just never thought to try sardines.


Now I have usually just mashed them up with some lime juice, parsley and topped off with some avocado on a piece of toast but tried something different today. One can of sardines mixed with chives, shallot, green onions, lemon juice and cream cheese. Turns more into a pate type spread, which is great because that's on my list of no no foods. Rob picked me up some crisp breads to spread it on and topped it off with some avocado, so yummy. Seriously.



1 comment: