Friday, January 20, 2012

Green Eggs and Toast


Yes, there seems to be a theme going on here, spinach in everything. I find it a very easy vegetable to incorporate into almost anything, helping up my vegi intake. Today's lunch was hard boiled eggs mixed with some baby spinach, greek yoghurt, dijon mustard and some pepper. It's quick, simple and pretty tasty. I did add a bit more yoghurt than usual but I need to up my calcium intake even more as Pip's bones are starting another growth spurt now.

As for dinners I have been on a bit of a roll lately, just saying! This week consisted of a ostrich and quinoa chili that kept us well fed for a few meals. Ostrich is a very lean red meat, for a 6oz serving you get 190 calories and 38g of protein, and is really tasty. Second meal was a white bean and chicken stew with lemon, dill and topped with a mint pesto. You could say that this is more of a spring/summer dish but was a really nice change from the typical bean dishes I make. It was also very easy to pull together. Here is a link to the recipe, it's a keeper. Chicken and bean stew.

Yesterday I made up a batch of pizza dough and will be making up pizzas for dinner tonight. Hopefully I wont be a ziggy piggy like usual and will try to take a couple of pics. I am still trying out pizza dough recipes and hopefully have found one that gives us a great flavour as well as a sturdy thin crust.

Now if only we had a wood burning oven to bake them in.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. Making me hungry. I'll check out the chicken and bean recipe. Once you perfect the pizza dough, you will have to bring it up to Bancroft and cook it in our outdoor wood burning oven as the ultimate test!

    ReplyDelete