Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Where's Winter?


Don't know where you are right now but Toronto is basking is some serious spring weather. Yesterday was stunning reaching a balmy 10 degrees so I went for a one hour walk wishing it could have been a run! That's ok, soon enough. Today again is has been hovering around 7 or 8 and quite sunny with some very black sky to the north, east and west of us so I don't think this is going to last too long.

I came across a crazy looking smoothie so had to try it out. We both love going to the market at getting a fresh beet juice with ginger, our place is too small for a juicer so it's a once and a while treat. Well, this smoothie may fix that.

Beet Smoothie - adapted from Smith Bites

1 - 2 roasted beets
1 med to large orange
big chunk of fresh ginger peeled
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
approx. 1/2 cup of any kind of milk

Blend all together. I'm not a fan of really sweet drinks so omitted any sweeteners, the protein powder adds some sweetness along with the roasted beets. I like it spicy so added almost an inch of ginger.
Be prepared, it tastes way different than it looks, especially if you don't know what's in it!



Finally a pizza update. The dough that I had mad up last week (or was it longer than that? ) was used up on Sunday night for pizzas and was probably even better than before. I think the week of developing in the fridge was what did the trick. This week I made up a white pizza as my Mom and I were trading recipes and she had sent along one that looked good. Of course I changed it up but it was a great inspiration. You can check out their adventures of making pizza in the desert here. You will need to scroll down a bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment