Thursday, March 29, 2012

Burning My Feet


As mentioned earlier, Pip is in breech position and we have started to try some alternative methods of turning the baby.

I have been going for acupuncture treatments for over a year now for a variety of different reasons and was aware of the Moxa treatment that was given to help turn a breech baby. Last week I went in for a treatment and to be honest, it felt really nice. I was all warm and cozy while Pip was dancing away.

Essentially it's a cigar size stick of mugwort that is lit up and placed over your pinky toe. This stimulates the uterus by improving blood flow to the area thus stimulating the baby to move around. By doing this daily there is a better chance of the baby turning on it's own as opposed to an external version, which I am hoping to avoid at all costs as I have heard that it can be quite painful.

This is a very simple procedure and so was given a stick to take home so Rob can do it for me. Now I will admit that waving a burning stick over your feet to turn a baby sounds very odd but it doesn't hurt and after doing a quick bit of research it appears to be a fairly regular treatment for breech babies. Convincing Rob took a bit but he is a great sport and played along with my request.

I am also laying down every day (when I remember to) with pillows under my hips to elevate them for 15 min. This helps Pip raise out of the pelvic bone area and being top heavy, as in head is much larger that the rest if the body, will hopefully flip around.

We shall see what happens. The good news is that my midwife has sent me for an ultrasound late next week to confirm Pip's position, I'm not going to argue! We are pretty excited to be able to see Pip again as we were only expecting the two ultrasounds early on so this is a great bonus.

Stay tuned for any updates as they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment